Monday, September 26, 2011

attitude.

"Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an adventure." (pin)

Yep.
Today has been one of those days. Tonight we are having about 15 people at our house. And I'm cooking. I had my day planned perfectly. I was going to get up, start working on my new garden (fun , huh?), then clean house, go to the grocery store, start dinner, get dressed, finish dinner. Oh, and try to squeeze in a work out somewhere in there.

I started my garden, realized I needed compost, and went to the nursery. While I was out, I decided to go to the grocery store. So I went and bought all the stuff for tonight's (hopefully) yummy dinner. I came home and began unloading my groceries. I shut the front door behind me and......oops. It locked. I locked myself out of my dirty-needs-to-be-cleaned house. With groceries in my car. And my phone trapped inside.

Funny thing is, this morning I was just thinking about this quote and how I need to watch my attitude when things don't go my way. It is so easy to pout or get angry. But, I thought about the times in my life that I've watched other people handle difficult circumstances with grace and patience, and how much more respect I had for those people. One of those people is my husband. See, he is the most patient and calm person I know. You can literally throw anything his way and his first instinct is just to start trying to come up with a solution, or just move on. He doesn't waste time whining about it or getting mad. He doesn't see a point in those things. How much more would I get accomplished if I just handled things differently?

Back to my day: So here I am locked out of my house. Phone's in the house. Groceries in the car. It's the middle of the day.

We just had new neighbors move in across the street and I had been meaning to go over and meet them. So that's just what I did! She let me use her phone. I couldn't get anyone. So I started working on my garden because I figured.. I had to be outside anyway. Might as well be productive. I finished that chore. Then my neighbor came back over to check on me and let me use her phone again! I finally got Jacob and he came home to let me in! :)

Moral of my story: I still got to do everything I needed to do today. I didn't die. Nobody was any worse off for what happened. And because I didn't throw a fit, I don't have to feel guilty about the way I reacted today. I get to go on with my day knowing that I kept a good attitude, and even made a new friend! Now back to cleaning and cooking!

pinteres

-Lace

2 comments:

  1. yes!!! i'm learning. i'm learning that if emails go unanswered, laundry goes undone and things don't all get taken care of that the world does not stop and i can still breathe. beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lace! thank you for your comment on my blog the other day - I am excited to follow YOU and your journey ;) can't wait until god's timing is perfect in your life. please keep in touch! i'll be praying! love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete