Friday, September 30, 2011

desires.

"If I find in myself desires nothing in this world can satisfy, I can only conclude that I was not made for here."- C.S. Lewis

 


Nothing satisfies. Nothing in this world at least. How many times have you had that desire to acquire something more, thinking "if I can only get this one thing, I will be satisfied." Sure, maybe you don't consciously think of it that way. But think about it for a second. That thought process really has to be the driving motivation behind always wanting 'more.' If I can just have this one outfit, my closet and my style will be complete (until next week when some new trend comes out). Or if I could only get this dream job I would be fulfilled and serve a purpose (until you get burned out, or it isn't quite the dream you thought it would be). Or what about the whole husband issue? How many girls do I know that think if they could just get married life's problems would be solved? Too many. 

See, none of these things are bad things, but I am convinced that so many times our motivation for them is way off base. I am convinced of that because I know my motivation is off. I thought being a PA was what I needed to be fulfilled because I feel like my purpose in life is to help those in need. And, don't get  my wrong, I love medicine. But you know what? It didn't fulfill me. I'm glad I'm a PA. I'm thankful for my job. I am going to love what I do every day. But it's not my identity. I absolutely love being a wife. I love my husband, but he isn't enough. I can't expect him to be. He is just a man. And even though he is the best husband I could ever ask for, I will still spend my days extremely disappointed with a lot of expectations unfulfilled if I look to only him to meet all my needs. And clothes? come on....do we really think those are going to satisfy? Embarrassingly enough, I think sometimes I do. If you look to this world to satisfy you, it will always come up short. Because you and I were not made for this world. We were made for eternity. And our Heavenly Father is the only one who can satisfy us. So my prayer today is that I will stop looking at the things of this world to meet my heart's desires and start looking to my Savior.

Let's not look to this world as if it's all there is.

He has also set eternity in the hearts of men. -Ecclesiastes 3:11

-Lace

No comments:

Post a Comment