Tuesday, April 19, 2011

4.19.11


Went ziplining through the canopy today!!!!! SO. MUCH. FUN! Then we got to see some monkeys, and they hopped on my shoulder! I think they are the cutest things ever! Now we are getting ready for dinner on the dock. One of the neighbors is cooking shrimp linguine! I can’t believe I only have 1 full day left here! I am so excited to see Jacob, but so sad to leave! Tomorrow we are doing a health fair at one of the extremely poor “villages” here.
Some more inspiration from “Crazy Love:”
“Our greatest fear as individuals and as a church should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.” - Tim Kizziar.
“After the apostle Peter preached on the day of Pentecost, people “were cut to the heart and said… ‘Brothers, what shall we do?’ (Acts 2:37). The first church responded with immediate action; repentance, baptism, selling posessions, sharing the gospel. We respond with words like ‘amen, convicting sermon, great book’… and then are paralyzed as we try to decipher what God wants of our lives. I concur with Annie Dillard who once said, “How we live our days is.. .how we live our lives.” We each need to discover for ourselves how to live this day in faithful surrender to God. ”
“Should you put your house on the market today and downsize? Maybe. Should you quit your job? Maybe. Or perhaps God wants you to work harder at your job and be His witness there. Does he want you to move to another city or another country? Maybe. Perhaps He wants you to stay put and open your eyes to the needs of your neighbors.”
As I am getting close to going home, this part of the book really meant a lot to me. Sometimes it’s very easy to do what you feel God leading you to do in a foreign country when that’s your primary reason for being there. Or it’s easy to love people in the third world who you feel actually NEED your love. And when you are in uncomfortable situations and pushed beyond your comfort zone, it’s easier to really listen and lean on God for advice and guidance. But when I’m home, with the people I love and around people who have everything they could ever need and are sometimes unlovable, that’s when I’m called. I’m called to be God’s witness THERE, even when it doesn’t come naturally. Francis Chan also says in his book when talking about the “highs” of life when you feel close to God (mission trip, camp, revival, etc.): “Memories are wonderful, but do you live differently because of them?” I hope I will.
Lace

No comments:

Post a Comment